Governance at Mayflower – Local Governing Body
Welcome to the Local Governor’s page for Mayflower Community Academy. We would like to take this opportunity to tell you a little bit about ourselves, our roles, and our aims.
Mayflower Community Academy became part of the Learning Academies Trust on 1 October 2018.
The Learning Academies Trust Board is accountable in law for all decisions about its academies. However, the Trust Board have agreed within their scheme of delegation that many decisions can and should be delegated to the local governing bodies. Details of the trustees and their attendance records can be viewed here.
Our Local Governing Body comprises up to eleven governors, all of whom bring different skills to governance.
Local governors are volunteers who give their time, diverse skills and commitment to meet to discuss standards and support and challenge the school leadership. The Local Governing Body also contributes to Ofsted inspections.
To be an effective board in challenging and supporting the school so that weaknesses are tackled decisively, and our statutory responsibilities are met.
We endeavour to do this by:
• Holding six meetings per year
• Appointing a clerk to record our work
• Electing a Chair and Vice Chair
• Advising all parents of any parent vacancies, all staff of staff vacancies and looking to appoint members of the community as co-opted governors
• Adopting, reviewing, approving and monitoring the Academy Improvement Plan
• Noting term dates for the academic year and agreeing the non-pupil days
• Receiving Headteacher reports three time per year
• Reviewing and monitoring examination/national test results
• Reviewing the level of exclusions
• Receive reports on pupil achievements
• Have an overview of the quality of teaching and learning in the school
• Review the effectiveness of curriculum arrangements
• Monitoring attendance of pupils and staff
• Review and determine impact of Pupil Premium
• Ensure governors communicate the view of the Local Governing Body to the CEO
• Inducting new governors to the local governing body
• Visiting school to see how strategies are being delivered in school
• Reviewing, adopting and monitoring the procedures for dealing with complaints
• Annually elect local governors for the following responsibilities: – English, Mathematics, SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disability), Safeguarding (including Child Protection and Looked After Children), Early Years and Pupil Premium
• Maintaining and updating a file of business interest declarations
• Organising support and training for governors
As you can see there is a great deal expected of all local governing bodies, which is why it is important that responsibilities are shared.
For more information about becoming a school governor, please contact the Chair of the Local Governing Body via the school office to see if there are any vacancies.
Who is on our Local Governing Body?
If you wish to make contact with the Local Governing Body you can email them at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Colin Doctor||Co-Opted||07/11/2018||06/11/2022||Local Governing Body||None Declared||5/5
|David Sammels||Headteacher||07/11/2018||06/11/2022||Learning Academies Trust||Family Link to Larry Speare Ltd||5/4
|David Walters Chair||Co-Opted||07/11/2018||06/11/2022||Local Governing Body||None Declared||5/5
|Natalie Berry Vice Chair||Parent||07/11/2018||06/11/2022||Elected by Parents||None Declared||4/5
|Rachel Greco||Parent||20/01/2021||14/07/2024||Elected by Parents||None Declare||0/0
|Ellie Bailey||Staff||22/01/2020||21/01/2024||Elected by Staff||Phase Leader at Mayflower||2/4
|Chris Warne||Co-Opted||06/05/2020||05/05/2024||Local Governing Body||Owner of Kaya Gallery||2/2
|Jo Arscott||Co-Opted||06/05/2020||05/05/2024||Local Governing Body||None Declared||1/1
|Jack Harman||Co-Opted||18/11/2020||17/11/2024||Local Governing Body||Co-Owner of Hutong Cafe’||0/0
|Isaura Roberts||Parent||07/11/2018||05/05/2022||Local Governing Body||None Declared|
|Will Amery||Co-Opted||05/05/2020||17/03/2021||Learning Academies Trust||Director of Roake Studio|