Our aim at Mayflower Community Academy is to develop a positive attitude towards Mathematics. Mathematics is integral to all aspects of life and with this in mind we endeavour to ensure that children develop an enthusiastic and confident approach towards the subject. Mathematics is a vital tool in providing a foundation for understanding the world and, through the delivery of a high quality, enjoyable and meaningful Mathematics curriculum, we hope children build a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject.
Mathematics is taught in line with the new curriculum and its aims are to ensure that all pupils become fluent, reason mathematically and can solve a wide variety of problems.
- Efficiency: An efficient strategy is one that the student can carry out with ease, keeping track of sub problems and making use of intermediate results to solve the problem.
- Accuracy: Includes careful recording, knowledge of number facts and other important number relationships, and double-checking results.
- Flexibility: Requires the knowledge of more than one approach to solving a particular kind of problem, and the ability to select the most appropriate one.
Reasoning is important when first encountering a new problem or when logical thinking is required, or when there are several starting points, missing parts or different ways to solving a problem. Reasoning helps us to:
- Evaluate situations
- Select problem-solving strategies
- Draw logical conclusions
- Develop solutions
- Describe solutions
- Reflect on solutions
- Solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.